Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why you should go Skiing




June 8, 2011

Living in Utah I would assume that most people know or have an idea of what skiing is. For me skiing is my life. Without skiing I am not sure where I would be, it has lead me to places and people I may never have met nor seen. There are so many reasons that I believe people should be interested in skiing. Skiing is so much fun, it is great being out in the mountains and spending time with friends. It is also something that can help take your mind of your problems and give you a great work out in the process. If you have never tried before, I hope by the end of this post that you will be more interested in trying it at least once.

            My number one reason I think people should be interested in skiing is because it is a fun way to get out of the house and be active with friends. In my opinion there is no better way to spend a day than with your friends and family on the mountain skiing untouched powder snow. A day of skiing involves a lot of work however. Waking up early and getting everything ready for the day is a often a hectic and slow start, I have forgotten my boots or ski pass too many times so I try not to rush in the morning. Once you get to the mountain is when the fun starts. Whether you’re touring in the backcountry or riding at the resort the fun starts when you hit the snow. From there you are completely submerged in the most aesthetic and scenic atmosphere imaginable, the fact that this is a place where we are able to recreate is truly special. The view from the top of any peak in the Wasatch is stunning and worth the effort to make it to the top.







- Here is a photo of my friends standing at top a summit in Utah. Check out how stoked they are to be on the summit!

           


            I can recall many times this past year where I was really stressed out from school and had a lot of tests coming up, I would always make sure that on the weekends I had my work done so I could go and ski. It was a great way to take my mind of things and go out and have fun. It became a ritual for me. I was going to do whatever it was going to take to ski as many days I possibly could during the week. When I am in the mountains skiing my mind is never on school or my job or girls, to be honest it’s usually not on anything. I just kind of go blank, I turn my music as loud as it will go and just ski. It is hard to explain if you have never been before, but it is just like any other action sport; you have to be extremely focused and controlled to make sure you do not get hurt but at the same time you are really calm and collected.

            Another reason I think people should be interested in skiing is that it makes you a good problem solver. When you are in the backcountry you have to rely on your ability to take care of difficult situations. Whether it is a broken down snowmobile ten miles from the trailhead or a ripped backpack you are the one who is going to have to come up with a solution to the predicament. The challenge a skier faces daily include knowing the weather and avalanche conditions everyday so that they are to ski the most appropriate and safest terrain available for that day. This is the biggest problem a skier will face, where to ski? Should I go here where the snow looks good or keep going where the snow could be deeper and fluffier. It is always a difficult choice but in the end the choice doesn’t really matter, it is all good skiing!

            My final reason I think people should be interested in skiing is because you get to spend time and share unforgettable experiences with your closest friends. There is something very special about being in the mountains with people you know and have experience with. Together you work hard breaking trail through the deep snow and keeping each other’s spirits high to eventually make it to the summit and ski down. At the end of the day when you get to your car after climbing and skiing a mountain you feel as though you lived life to the fullest that day. You may have woken up before the sun had rose and you may have spent 4 hours trudging through waist deep snow but when all is said and done at the end of the day there is no greater feeling to have than the feeling of great accomplishment.


           




           


1 comment:

  1. It's great that you have such a love for skiing. I'm a snowboarder myself and just completed season nineteen! All of your comments are spot on. But instead of thinking of skiing when I read it, I imagined "biking" "biking" "biking" in every place a read "skiing". Maybe it's the change of season and summer is here, but I have the same or even stronger relationship with road biking. I love cruising downhills, feeling my heart beat on long climbs, going the long distances, and rolling solo or with great old and new friends alike.

    As long as you get out there and experience life!!

    ReplyDelete